Saturday, February 26, 2011

Danish Dishes

A few weekends ago at the Rose Bowl Flea Market, I scored rescued a fabulous set of dishes.  Beautiful china from Denmark for only $60.  I've scoured the Internet to learn more about my new friends and haven't found much so if you know about them - or better yet, have any of their relatives, let me know!

Cold enough for a fire today, so thinking about a rich soup to fill these beautiful soup bowls.
Love the yellow and orange flowers.  Are they peonies?  I'm not sure....
Rogers and Bros. Avalon pattern silverplate, purchased on ebay I picked up for almost nothing. When I use soup bowls, the Avalon soup spoons are appreciated.  The crochet tablecloth is one I found years ago while antiquing at the Pasadena College Swap Meet.  It may be a bed cover but I've used it as a table covering since my table is unusually wide.  Seemed to fit the delicate nature of these dishes.
Plate under the soup bowl.  How sweet are the flowers?! I wish I knew more about floral and fauna.  Something to research!

This set has sooooo many companion dishes. This one could be used for butter or desserts.  I'm imagining danish pastries spread with clotted cream.  Yum!

Popular Danish sandwiches and Danish pastry


Demitasse cups for espresso.  The mark on the bottom of these cups reads "Guldborg."  This map shows Guldborg, Denmark to be an inlet in the Baltic Sea.  I would need espresso!
Plate under the soup bowls, gold rims in great condition.
This set came with two gravy bowls.  A little research reveals that Danish gravy is important.
Danish gravy must be very good.  Found this blog with directions for Viking Smoked Salt Gravy. Not sure I'm there yet. Viking Gravy
Mansaka Recipe
Beautiful casserole dish! Mansaka looks promising (recipe below).  "This is a traditional Danish casserole taught to me by my grandmother. The combination of meat, vegetables and spices makes it very tasty, and it is also easy to prepare." Recipe

Marking on bottom of all plates
Liselund

Similar set found on the internet
GULDBORG
Creamfarvet porcelæn med blomsterbuketter i flere farver samt guldkant. Stellet er fremstillet af Bucka & Nissen og dekoreret i danmark.

Billede og tekst med Copyright






Couldn't believe when I found this ad for a Coffee Set, sold in Denmark on the internet.  "Call for price." I didn't, but I was tempted.
Liselund kaffestel, mange dele illustreret i danmark.
 Vare nr.: 102076

Two square dishes large enough to be used as vegetable dishes.



So many pieces!  Can't wait to find recipes to fill them and parties to share them.



Sweet jam pot.
Choux pastry swans glide across a light almond dessert sauce

Extra pieces all laid out on the sideboard.  I sense a Smorgasbord in my future, filled with havarti cheeses, cucumber salad and almond Valkyries (pictured above)! Norse legend has it that the valkyries, shieldbearers to Odin and cupbearers to the heroes of Valhalla, would occasionally take a day off from battle and bloodshed, don their elegant swan skins, and float peacefully across silent waters … tempting both men and gods to further mayhem with their regal beauty. Here they have shape-shifted into choux pastry, filled with lingonberrry sorbet and gliding on a pool of almond dessert sauce.
Summer Smorgasbord

Dishes: Demoreret Danmark
Silverplate: Rogers & Bros. Avalon
Glasses: Home Goods
Tablecloth: Pasadena Flea Market
Napkins: Williams Sonoma
Candles: Home Goods

Mansaka

ngredients

  • 1 tablespoon shortening
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
  • 2 cups sliced onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 4 potatoes, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese

Directions

  1. Melt the shortening in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, and cook, stirring to crumble, until evenly browned. Mix in the onion and garlic; cook until tender. Drain excess grease, and sprinkle in the flour, salt, pepper, sugar, basil, cinnamon and oregano. Stir in the mushrooms and tomato sauce, and simmer for 15 minutes over low heat.
  2. Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl or dish, and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until about halfway done.
  3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish, or shallow casserole dish of similar size, layer half of the potatoes. Spread half of the meat sauce over them, then sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat the layers ending with cheese on top.
  4. Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until potatoes are tender and cheese is browned.


6 comments:

  1. Hi CJ,

    What a great bargain you got with these dishes! All those pieces for $60! I must be shopping at the wrong places. I'm not a botanical expert, but those flowers do remind me of California poppies. I just love the pattern; the dishes are charming. And that is a great backstamp -- I can just picture those Vikings setting out in their ships to conquer new lands! Last, but not least, your crocheted tablecloth is really pretty. The perfect touch for a lovely tablescape. Enjoy your weekend.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly scored a bargain with your Danish china. You have a good eye. They are lovely and with so many serving dishes how could anyone pass them up! Enjoy and use them. On the East coast you would not be so lucky to get them at that price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful! First time stopping by your blog. What amazing dishes! I 'll be back!!! Love the tablecloth too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cherish your visit and thank you much for your very kind comments. An absolutely great score/find!!! I love the flowers and you were able to get so many pieces. Your tablecloth is wonderful. I am so partial to crochet coverings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful china pattern...the flowers look like poppies to me. You got a great deal with all the pieces in the set. Gorgeous crocheted tablecloth.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great find that china was! I know that your're thrilled. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your encouraging messages! No anonymous messages. Thanks!~CJ