Sunday, November 13, 2011

Cabin Thanksgiving

"Let's try to get together at the cabin before everyone gets busy with their other family holidays."  The emails began flying as we tried to plan to coordinate our schedules.  At least some of us would make it there, but we didn't really know who or how many, but we trusted that there would be food and family and lots of thanksgiving.  Isn't it great when it comes together beautifully without all the planning and assigning of food?  It is rare, but it happened this weekend.

The cabin is named "Dogwood Dell" because it is in the middle of a dell of beautiful dogwoods, oaks, pines, and redwoods.  My mother purchased the cabin 30 years ago as a place to gather her family, and get away from the distractions of our busy city lives.  We have loved convening here, and growing closer together.




The dishes are a collection of vintage dogwood patterns.
See the Dogwood fall colors outside the windows
Dogwood leaves around the turkey, gathered from the dell
1950's vintage Forest Dogwood Joni 
"The legend of Dogwood dates back to the Crucifixion.  Early lore likens the dogwood petals,
shaped like a cross, and stained with red, to the Cross of Calvary."

Vintage Homer Laughlin Debutante Dogwood

That's mom in the kitchen making gravy!
Alton Brown's Brine recipe is my go-to favorite
White bird napkin holders add to spontaneously put together centerpiece
Gift from my sister!  Love them.  Persimmons and acorns, oh my!
Simple nuts and acorns along the cabin runner

Asparagus and shrimp from my sister. Really?  You just threw this together?  Yum!
Heavenly Father, you have blessed us with much, family, food, home, and love.  During this season of Thanksgiving, we remember that for those of us who are so bountifully blessed, much is expected.  How can we share what we have with others?  This is a season where random acts of kindness, small and grand, are gifts to others, but always more so for those giving the gift.

May we give with selfish abandon so that we may receive the joys and blessings of our God. 


The Lord said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you. 2"I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. 3I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you."   
~ Genesis 12:1-3 

16 comments:

  1. How wonderful. What a gorgeous place to spend time.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful & so true, I always enjoy giving more than getting! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful get a way, and wonderful table. Love the candles. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a lovely place to get together. I love the tablescape. Gorgeous. The food looks amazing also. Many Blessing. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fabulous place to get all together. Love the table too. The dishes are so pretty. Many blessings.. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi lovely lady.
    This is a gorgeous place for having Thanksgiving!!Your tablescape is Beautiful and the food looks wonderful with the big Turkey !! I hope you and your family have a great day on Thanksgiving Day.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have Gleneyrie, a large, rustic cabin built in the early 1930's by our sweet Nana and named after my mother-in-love. It resides at the top of the hill overlooking Tag Hollow on Spavinaw Lake. We don't get up there very often either, but the times spent there are special. Thank you for inviting us for a peak at your special Thanksgiving table. Your comments on my blog really touched me. Thank you. My Aunt Ida always wanted me to be a writer; she said that I was a natural storyteller. My blog is a special outlet for me. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous cabin! Lovely table with the dogwood patterned plates...the food's not bad, either!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cabin is so lovely. What a great place to go for Thanksgiving with your family. Your table is beautiful. I really like the plates. Those would be fun to use at Christmas too. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I felt so welcome just reading about the cabin. How wonderful to have a place to gather.
    Love the story of the dogwood, I remember the sisters telling us about it.
    The dishes are so pretty, and the table looks so rustic and inviting. I can imagine all the good times spent around it.
    Mom looks all dolled up out there cooking, God bless her!
    It is so nice to meet you, thanks for stopping by!
    I am a retired teacher, taught 33 years in the same school btw, so no superstar, just have time now to enjoy playing with dishes!
    Have a very blessed Thanksgiving, enjoy!
    I am your newest follower, now I can come visit again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely name for a lovely cabin! The Flowering Dogwood is the NC state flower so I LOVE those dishes! I have a teacup with a dogwood pattern that I really love - it might be one of your patterns. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh goodness, what a "Christmas Card" picture! Love the Dogwood dishes that go with the name of your family hideaway! Absolutely perfect! Thanks for visiting Take Six, CJ!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dogwood Dell looks like one of the most peaceful places on earth to assemble to enjoy family and friends! What a beautiful spot! Your Mother had real forethought in buying this property all those years ago! The Dogwood is the official Missouri tree, so I have a special affinity for your dishes and all the beautiful trees outside your window there! I wish you and your family peace and love on this Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How nice to have that special place to go. If that was your real turkey, it looks like one from a magazine. Mine never gets out of the aluminum pan I cook it in. Maybe I need to raise the bar this year! Thanks for sharing.

    Robin
    Robin Flies South

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mom loved dogwoods so I have a nice association with them. The plates are very pretty. I wish I could tell you that I looked at everything on your table but once I spotted the turkey, that was it for me. Cozy, homey, lovely gathering place.

    Elaine
    Creating Wonderful Spaces

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a perfect place!! I have always wanted to have a cabin in the woods...we go up to Vermont every year, so maybe someday. Your table is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your encouraging messages! No anonymous messages. Thanks!~CJ