Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Hmm Blog

"Do you blog?"  I recall someone asking me that five years ago, and I wasn't sure what they meant. Since then I have spent countless hours, and whole days searching, reading and commenting on blogs. Blog, blog, blog, and blog.  It is addictive, and questionably productive. I've learned a lot, met (cyber-met) inspiring people, and connected with family and friends in an interactive, and visual way, so that's good, right? 

I'm left wondering, or hmmming about the difference between a blog and a website. My theories are purely speculative, and based on observation, but I'm pretty sure they are correct.  Most blogs seem to start out journalistic, a way to chronicle something that you are doing, like decorating, cooking, taking pictures of your family, or remodeling an old house.  Then someone comments on your musings, and you're hooked.  What, someone read what I posted?!  That feeling of connection addicts you to the blogging, making you yearn for more connections.  Then your list of followers and comments starts to increase.  Do you have over 100 followers, 500, 1000, 10,000?  The urge for more and more overtakes you. You visit blogs, leaving comments that implore them to "comment back,"  "visit me." 

Then, I've noticed the ads start appearing as the blog is "monetized."  Connections for "Twitter," and "Facebook" appear.  Links to a website selling Etsy items, or other. 

Making a living in this 21st Century world requires innovation, creativity, discipline and dedication, so I applaud anyone making a living, cyber or otherwise.  Here's what I wish for in blogland: some kind of rating system (something akin to the "Advertisement" warning on the top of a magazine page, that looks like an article, but it's really not), so I can tell if the blog or website is commercial or reflective, desirous of selling me something (and I'm a happy buyer), or informing me about the blogger(s) passion/hobbly/expertise.  I just want to know.  For the record, I love to read reflections, the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Henry Ford said, "Those who never make mistakes, work for those of us that do."  Mistakes are opportunities for growth.  Let's brag about our mistakes, as well as our hits-outta-the park. 

In any case, thanks to the bloggers that have kept me entertained, inspired, and teached me up!  Blog on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your encouraging messages! No anonymous messages. Thanks!~CJ